Thursday, March 8, 2012

Silver Dandelion Cuff





When I originally made this cuff, I created the design by simply drawing freehand directly on to the silver. Then, I could be loose and and draw intuitively with a sharpie pen. However this cuff is being made for an order, so I need to keep as close as possible to the original picture posted on the web. When  I can meet with the person who is buying the cuff, I discuss any design changes they would like, and various heights etc. for the bracelet.

Fortunately, I remembered to take a photo of the first cuff before I formed it, so this photo, scaled to size, is what I am using as a template. 

I begin by punching in the dots as markers, and then set about inscribing the design.

When I am happy with all the markings, I blacken the inscriptions, and then carefully, using a very fine sandpaper 600 grit, remove the excess, and create a nice clean finish on the silver.

It takes time and care to form the silver in to the cuff. The sheet is hammered around the mandrel till the desired size is acheived. Obviously, if I try to work to fast, or get impatient, (which happens...), I can mar the surface with an ugly dent mark which may take a very, very long time to remove.

When formed, the cuff is tumbled in a rock tumbler with steel shot for a few hours This "work hardens" the silver, making it firmer, and less likely to deform and take on scratches. A last gently sanding to create a matte finish, and the cuff is ready to be worn and enjoyed!



No comments:

Post a Comment